August 28, 2005

Daily Dancer Interview, Part III

Here we are again, folks, with your favorite hoofing master, Daily Dancer. My latest round of questioning exposes an egalitarian spirit harbored beneath the sparkle of his jazz hands. We find a man who would balance out the world's wealth if it were in his power. We also find a man deeply in love with his special woman, looking forward to their shared future. While I'd like to keep pestering DD with my possibly endless line of questioning, I'll probably only impose on his time for another two or three rounds. I'm chock full of questions, but if there's something in particular you're interested in knowing, leave your inquiries in the comment section below and I'll try to incorporate some in future e-mails.

KC: Naw, you mean there are people who would consider labeling your socks weird? Surely you jest. At any rate, it's easy to see you're definitely an "unusual" guy. What are some of your life plans? What does the future hopefully hold for Daily Dancer?

DD: I see two futures for myself. The first is more likely to happen, but I can dream:
1) I continue in my current role as a software developer, developing my skills and becoming more important within my company (or another company).
2) I receive a substantial amount of money (millions), which enables me to start my own software company and run it in a way that favours fairness and internal (code) quality over features and profits. Maybe my DD fame will lead me there.
Either way, I plan to spend the rest of my life with that wonderful person I am with now, and I plan to start a wonderful family with her, with little Dancers running around.

KC: It's interesting that you've taken some tap lessons from your girlfriend's
mom (from here on out girlfriend will be referred to as G and girlfriend's mom
will be referred to as G-Momma), only because I've wanted to take tap lessons
ever since I saw that Liza Minelli movie about tapping. Did you learn how to do
that windmill move where your arms and legs fly out? Can you do that on a future
post?

DD: Windmill move? I haven't gotten that advanced. Shuffle-ball-change, shuffle-ball-change, shuffle-ball-change, step, is about as far as I had gotten. But, I'm up for most new things.

KC: It seems obvious that G-Momma has a performing past considering how well she got down and dirty with it on her guest post? Is she a former dancer and has she helped you in other ways with your blog?

DD: She was not a dancer in the professional sense, but she enjoys taking--and teaching--classes in many different kinds of performance, including dancing. She has certainly helped me with my blog, giving me a great amount of advice.

KC: What do you see as the greatest problem plaguing mankind today and how would you solve it?

DD: The greatest problem I see is the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. The world is run by huge corporations that care only about revenues, profits, and shareholders. They crush and/or take over smaller businesses and put their own names on them. I believe that the cost of what a business sells should not determine its worth. A person who sells marbles should end up with the same amount of money as a person who sells diamonds, even though the diamonds cost more. A janitor, who works as hard as a CEO or professional athlete, should be able to attain the same kinds of salaries as those others. Implementing such a fair system would require governments to take considerably more control over where profits go and how money gets distributed amongst employees and other companies. I feel that a large, influential, nation--like the United States--must re-evaluate the entire monetary system and make some revolutionary changes. Otherwise, like I said at the top, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

KC: Besides dancing and software development, what other interests do you have?

DD: Well, I have been playing guitar for about 11 years, and I have gotten fairly good. However, I must increase my repertoire and learn some new songs (I play way too much John Prine). I have had periods when I was into oil painting (I used to do landscapes and portraits); but lately, I find I don't have the patience for it. Growing up, I used to play a lot of golf, but, as much as I love it, it has gotten a bit expensive for me these days.

KC: Are you a Mac person or a PC person?

DD: I am a PC person. I never use Macs. Now, the real question is whether I am a Windows person or a UNIX person. The answer is "both." For the most part, I use Windows, as it is so common and easy to configure. When it comes to free software and a good development environment, I choose Linux.

KC: If you could meet and have dinner with one famous dancer, who would it be and why?

DD: Famous dancer? How about Britney Spears? She dances. I wouldn't dump my wonderful partner for her, though.

<< previous interview, Part II/ next interview, Part IV >>

No comments: