July 11, 2005

I got those broken down sewing machine blues.

Something is wrong with my sewing machine and I'm upset. I just started to sew my daughter's dress for my brother's wedding and my sewing machine won't work properly. The needle goes up and down but for some reason the thread won't feed from the spool so the thread in the needle eventually breaks because it's being stretched too tight. Although, maybe the problem has something to do with the bobbin. I don't know. I tried taking apart my machine a little last night to oil and clean it hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't and now I'm sad. My machine is about thirty years old. It's the first sewing machine my mother bought for herself and she handed it down to me. It's worked fine until now. But the situation puts me in a bit of a quandry; do I spend money to have it fixed even though it's thirty years old or do I spend money to buy a relatively cheap sewing machine that will do me for a little while? If I had the money, I'd just go out and buy a really nice new machine that can do everything I'd like a machine to do, but I don't have a lot of money and if I go buy one, I'd have to settle for something less than what I'd like. I don't even know how much it costs to fix a sewing machine. It might not even be a cost-effective option. I'm going to call a repair shop and find out what it costs. Hold on. Wow, just to service the machine costs $60, that doesn't include actually fixing something that might be wrong. I talked to the repairman and he was very pleasant. He said maybe I could bring the machine in and they might be able to easily determine the problem and make adjustments without having to actually put the machine in for repair. That's worth a shot, I guess, if they're not going to charge me for it.

In good news, I fixed the leak in my tub this weekend. I wanted to replace the entire hot water stem because the water wouldn't shut off all the way so I figured I should just get a new one. But it was too hard finding one just like it so I put a new washer on it just to see if that would work, and it seems to have done the job. Woo hoo, can beat a household repair that only costs 50 cents to fix.

Also, where does the idea that flies only live 24 hours come from? I've been watching a fly trapped in my office window since last Thursay and it's still alive. Although, it does seem somewhat sluggish today, kind of like it's drunk or something. It doesn't seem able to cling to the screen very well. I can't imagine it's able to get something to eat in there. Why is a fly smart enough to find the hole in the screen that got it trapped but isn't smart enough to find the same hole and get out?

No comments: