June 22, 2005

Da snake ain't got da parts.

Today's title doesn't really have anything to do with the post, but I've been wanting to use that phrase as a title for some time and since I'm kind of talking about eating, at least the lack of eating in this post, I figured maybe I'd squeeze it in. I just finished watching The Machinist, the movie where Christian Bale lost something like 60 pounds to play the lead. To say his weightloss is shocking is really inadequate, but I can't think of a better word. But really, it's shocking. The movie was pretty good. In some ways, it was almost like Memento where you've got to kind of go backward to understand what motivates the movie. I don't know how much of what Christian Bale did was acting or how much of it was a display of his own true physical fatigue, but he was very believable as the rail-thin, insomniac Trevor Reznick. I just kept thinking, damn, get some sleep boy. I mean, really, it's hard to imagine someone could have done it better than he did.

In the special features, Bale says he just stopped eating to lose the weight. Obviously, I would not have been a good candidate for this role because, while I don't tend to eat a lot and I'm not a big lover of food, I can't go a day without eating. And I've tried. I've tried to just not eat and get through the day and it just doesn't happen. I've never stayed up an entire night either. I've tried that too. Even in college, I have never in my life been able to stay awake an entire night and then continue on with my day. Even if I only got a couple of hours sleep, I still got some sleep.

Anyway, if you're looking for a film to watch, I recommend The Machinist.

No comments: