June 28, 2005

Come fly with me.

I'm flying my daughter to Montana this weekend so she can go on a weeklong camping/horseback riding/hiking expedition with my sister and her family. Let's just say she is E-X-C-I-T-E-D. But what kid wouldn't be? I'm really happy she's going to get to spend some quality time with her cousins. Since my daughter is an only child, I really try to encourage her to look upon her cousins more as brothers and sisters, so that she can have a larger sense of family as she gets older. I'll do the same with my brother's children once he has them. In actuality, encouraging more brother/sister type relationships with cousins is a very Korean thing to do. In the Korean language, there's not really even a word for cousin. It's either big sister/little sister or big brother/little brother. The only real shame for me in this scenario is that since we live far from my brother and sister, my daughter doesn't get to visit her cousins often and vice versa.

At any rate, I hope when she's an adult she can feel that she does have siblings in spirit, and in blood really, rather than thinking there are no relatives she can rely on in a familial sense.

By the way, if you haven't taken advantage of the extremely easy opportunity I've provided by linking to Daily Dancer off to right, you really should. This guy is fucking hilarious. He's got the moves to put you to shame, that's for sure Honeychild. Go take a look. It'll make you feel better.

No comments: