July 21, 2004

Just Wondering.

I don't think I'm utilizing my blog's full capabilities. I'm looking at some other blogs and see that people make numerous posts a day and detail every last second of their lives. What I really wonder is how do they have time to make so many posts. Sometimes my husband spends his entire evening on the computer and I often think it's excessive. My daughter has been getting into the act lately and saying,"Dad, don't you want to spend time with your family." Kids are sooooo good at dishing out the guilt. Of course, computer time hasn't been so much of a problem since I got the Gamecube. My husband and daughter are plugged into that thing for a good couple of hours a day. On the one hand, they're spending time together because they play together. On the other hand, I don't want my daughter turning into a vidiot. I'm actually a little surprised at how much she seems to enjoy playing because I always thought girls didn't get into video games the way boys do.

But it's funny to watch my daughter when she hears the video game turn on if she's in another part of the house. Her head jerks up like a prarie dog catching the sent of a coyote and she listens very carefully until she's sure that, yes, the video game marathon has begun. Then she tears into the livingroom screaming, "Dad, wait for me. Don't start without me." Yeah, some real Kodak moments being created here.

We've only got the one television, so when the games are on, that's my cue to go entertain myself. I'm sometimes tempted to get another t.v. for our bedroom. but there have been several studies lately that suggest children become too disconnected from the family when they have the means to hole themselves up and watch t.v. on their own. I'd never let my daughter have a t.v. for her room, but I don't want her being able to watch it anywhere in the house when we can't directly monitor it. Sounds Orwellian, I know, but t.v. today is not what it used to be.

No comments: