July 07, 2004

Bad Wife.

OK, this is my official I'm a bad wife day. Today is my husband's birthday and I FORGOT!!! But before I get too absorbed in my self-flagellation, I'll preface all this by telling you he forgot my birthday last year. I guess this is what happens when you've been married ten years. So, I'll have to stop by the store tonight to get him a cake and card. I'll take him out to dinner, too. Other than that, it's just another day.

Finally managed to get Jeanine on her way. They closed Chicago last night because of a thunderstorm, so she had to stay another night to catch the next flight out this morning. C'est la vie. It was great getting to see her and Michelle again. It was like no time had passed since we sat at lunch talking trash about everyone else in the world. Sigh. Good memories. I still can't believe I forgot my husband's birthday. That's pretty bad. Cool, Kate Bush is playing.

Sometimes I really wonder about this whole aging thing. In my mind I still feel 16. I feel like I should still be able to run around like a fool. Not really thinking about more than a good time. If I were a rock star, I could still live that life. What's the quick path to rock stardom? If anyone out there has the answer, let me know. But I wouldn't be a Janis Joplin rock star. I don't want to die. And how cliche is that anyway? Let me drink myself to death and let them all find me in a pool of vomit and shit-filled undies. So glamorous. I've always wondered why rock stars drink and drug so much. Most people are doing these things because they want to escape their real lives. Let's think about rock stars: you're rich, you're famous, you can have sex with anyone you want. What reality are you trying to escape? Yeah, man. You've got it bad. Life's just not fair, is it? Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

I saw this documentary on HBO the other day about how bad the meth problem is in rural areas of the country. It's apparently the drug of choice for Farmer Bob and his cronies. What I couldn't believe is that they showed this couple shooting up in their kitchen. So the guy is melting the meth in the spoon to shoot up and he sucks that crap into the syringe and it's dirty. I mean it's brown and there are pieces of dirt floating around inside the needle and they shoot this into their veins. Why not just mix up some mud and shoot up on that? It was really disgusting. I guess that just goes to show how bad addictions can be.

No comments: