April 01, 2005

April Fools.

I don't relly have a good joke to pull. I wish I did, but I don't. I'm not clever enough. Anyway, I want to be a little serious today. Let's talk a little about life. With the Terri Shiavo situation and the Pope being ill, it gets a person thinking. I think what happened to Terri Shiavo was a crime. I really question a husband's right to determine life or death for his wife when he's made a very public display of not being a "true" husband. I understand that he has a right to his own life, and in that case, he should have divorced Terri a long time ago and then let her parents and family assume responsibility for her care. But that's not what he did, is it? I do believe money was his only incentive for staying in the picture. Unfortunately in this situation, the world will never know what Terri would have really wanted for herself. It's possible she did say she never wanted to live in a vegetative state, and it's just as possible she would have decided her life was not her's to take, as her faith would have instructed. I'm not really interested in entering into the debate of right-to-life or right-to-death, I'm just interested in giving my own opinion. People can agree or disagree. I'm not really trying to convince people either way. I have to say it also bothers me that it's somehow OK to let a person die from intentional starvation when I don't think the courts would have allowed Terri to be killed by, say, lethal injection or some other quick method of death. Let's really drag it out and let her suffer for two weeks. Not right, people. Not right.

So you juxtapose all this with the Pope right now. He's being described as critically ill and people seem to think this is the end. But all reports also indicate the Pope as being calm and serene. This makes sense because he knows it's not really an end. He has no fear of death. If it plays out that he can't recover from his phyicals maladies, it'll be a sad day, indeed. This life will have lost a truly good man. But he will finally be at his eternal salvation. And I'd like to think that when my time comes, I can be as calm and serene knowing that I've left a good mark behind.

No comments: