April 07, 2005

Vacation check in

Alright, I'm going to do a post just to keep things flowing until I get back to work next week. I'm home with my daughter for her spring break. So far, despite my initial doubts, I've managed to get a good 3/4 of the house clean. So, yay for me. I rock. We have been having fun, too. We went to the zoo on Tuesday with friends and that was pleasant enough. I really don't like our zoo much because it's small and the animals are in areas that aren't large enough for their size. We call it the sad zoo, but my daughter loves zoos so much she's willing to overlook the fact that the animals have that dead, sucked-out spirit look in their eyes. Also, they tend to have a lot of empty exhibits. I don't know why. But, the day was a nice one.

I also decided that my daughter will learn how to ride a two-wheeler this week, so yesterday I took the training wheels off her bike, slapped helmet and pads on her and took her to the blacktop at the park. I told her she was going to fall and that was just the way of it. We were there a grand total of about 20 minutes before I couldn't take her whining anymore.

"Moooom, I want my training wheels back on," she wailed the entire time.

"Sweetie, don't you want to learn how to ride a bike?" I asked.

"Not if I have to get hurt," she replied.

As it turned out, she only got a little scrapped up. Next time, I'm going to put jeans on her to protect her legs a little better. Hopefully, that will cut some of the complaining. Actually, she was doing pretty well as long as she pedaled, but she'd freak out over the fact she was moving and then stop pedaling and fall, or she'd put the brake on and fall.

I hate to say it because I love her with all my heart, but she can really be quite wimpy at times. My elderly neighbor told me I baby her too much. That pissed me off a bit, but maybe she's right. Next time, I'm taking the bullwhip out with me. That'll learn her.

No comments: