April 26, 2005

Call me Gimpy.

I think I forgot to mention that in addition to my poor ankle, I twisted my neck something fierce. This is a problem because I can't compensate my lack of strength on the left side of my body because the neck strain (which is on the right side) prevents me from taking up the slack. I'm the Hobbler. Actually, everything is slowly but surely getting back to normal. I can move my head from side to side without having to also move my entire upper-body. I can walk pretty well, I just have to be really conscious of how I move my ankle.

I thought I might be going to Montana for my nephew's first communion, but I don't think that'll be happening now. My sister was going to get tickets for me and my daughter using her frequent flyer miles, but she's apparently not done it early enough, so it's doubtful she'll be able to get the tickets. It's a bummer in some ways because I'd love to see my sister and nieces and nephews, but it's a lot of traveling for a very short trip, so I'm kind of relieved in some ways. Also, my daughter would have to miss a day of school and I really don't like her to miss school. Not because I'm one of those really uptight parents, but because I'm lazy and it's more trouble to me to help her make up her assignments than to just send her to school. She's also not fond of missing school because most of the time, she has to miss recess to make up work and, for a seven-year-old, that's worse than ripping out her fingernails with a pair of pliers. Truly, it is. She's told me so herself.

The MFA theses reading was last night. It was fine, but it takes a long time because there's about a dozen people who have to read. It just gets really hard to sit there after about an hour without wanting to run screaming from the room. But they make it worthwhile it by offering mushy crudités and stale cookies after.

No comments: