April 14, 2005

Simple observations.

The funny thing about cold sores is the better they get, the uglier they look. As the blister dries, it scabs over in a thick, dark way. The primary function of this powerful scabbing action is to make it even more noticeable to the casual passer-by. Now that I'm no longer physically affected by the virus in terms of lethargy or pain, the only obvious way of causing me further mental anguish is to become really, really, blaringly apparent via the cold sore on my lip. I hate the way nature has already figured out how to screw you over. Anyway, I hope this thing falls off pretty soon. It's pretty large, so there's no telling how long it'll put up a fight.

This was an interesting day because someone who I don't normally interact with came into the office and started telling me about some medical concerns of hers. Well, she really came to talk to someone else, but I was the only one there and I guess she really needed to get it off her chest. I don't really want to get into the particular ailment, suffice to say it's a woman's issue. Anyway, it was just another thing added to an already loaded list of other difficulties. But what made the entire conversation interesting to me is that it really made me realize how fragile some people are and how this whole life thing ends up being a much harder struggle for some. And when I say "harder struggle," it's with the understanging that everything is relative. This particular person has some issues she needs to come to grips with in a major way, but she's living in a country where she doesn't have to wonder where her next meal is coming from or think about covering herself from head to toe lest she risk being stoned in the street. But why is it that some people just cannot break out of their own self-destructive behaviors?

I find I have less patience for self-pity the older I get only because I understand a little bit more how very small everything is. I was looking up at the sky today as I was walking to my office and I wondered how we get so wrapped up in our lives that we stop looking up. You should try it. It's very calming. It made me remember how I would freak myself out when I was kid by looking up at something like a church steeple on a windy day, and I'd get the sensation that the steeple was going to fall on me because the clouds were rushing by so quickly. I would really feel like I had to get out of the way because I was expecting all that stone and wood to come crashing down on my head, but then it never happened. But it gave me a little thrill. It made my heart beat a little faster, and then I'd look up again and get freaked out all over again. Yeah, good times. Good times.

No comments: