March 07, 2005

Spring break, but not for me.

Hey. How's it hanging? It's spring break here at the university, but not for us poor schlumps known simply as "staff." We don't deserve a break because we actually work, as you can so plainly tell by my regular posts put up here from work. It's OK because everything sort of slows down. It's the same way in the summer, too. Actually, most of time I don't even know it's break until I realize, "Hey, everything has sort of slowed down." At which point I ask someone in the hall if it's break. The only breaks that mean anything to me are the breaks my daughter has because then I have to worry about who's going to watch her. Last year my husband took off during her spring break because he has more vacation than I do. However, with his new job, he lost a week, so I'll probably be the one to take off this year. I'm torn between wanting to stay home for the week or going to DC to see my parents. Maybe I can convince my mother to come here for the week. I'd like to get some work done around the house.

Speaking of work around the house, I finished primeing and painting the wall in the half-bath, which means I was also able to reconnect the tank to toilet. Now all I have to do is buy a new sink and hook it up and then the bathroom will be back to normal. It's weird, though, going to the bathroom without a sink because there's so much open space in the bathroom that you feel kind of exposed when you're on the toilet. The room itself is very small, only big enough for the toilet and sink, but it still feels vast when you're just sitting in there with nothing between you and the door.

I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind over the weekend. I liked it. Generally speaking, I don't think Jim Carrey gets enough credit for his acting ability. I thought he was excellent in A Series of Unfortunate Events. He was pretty good in this movie, too. The only thing is that since we're so used to seeing him when he's being goofy, it's always a little jarring when he does something a little comedic in a serious role because you're suddenly reminded of something else that has nothing to do with the role on screen. Jim Carrey strikes me as being really lonely. I don't know why he and his wife divorced; although, it happened after he just started getting really famous and then he married Lauren Holly. But after he divorced Lauren Holly, he just seems really lonely. I don't get the impression that he handles break-ups very well because everytime he breaks up with someone, he invariably ends up banging away at a piano in some bar singing about how love gone and done him wrong. I personally sympathize with celebrities when it comes to having to deal with the more disappointing aspects of life in the public eye. They should be allowed the courtesy to fall apart in private.

No comments: