March 14, 2005

Jane Austen kicks major butt.

I spent the afternoon yesterday watching Pride and Prejudice. I've got the A&E production on DVD, so I watched the entire five hours. I love watching Jane Austen adaptations because it makes me wish men and women could still interact with each other the way they did in Regency-era England. I love the verbal play and how elegantly the women dissed the men. Well, and vice versa. It was a time when a strong wit really counted for something. I was telling my husband that that's the time period I would choose to live in. However, I'd have to be part of the aristocracy because it wasn't any fun being part of the working class, I would guess. I love how even the poor aristocrats could still have servants and act like they were something. Although, I do find it odd that they still looked down on those who worked for their money. I suppose it's akin to the same sort of prejudice today against people with "new money." Right? Just because you've got lots of cash doesn't mean you've got the class to match. The other thing about living in that time period is that I'd have to be the daughter of a man who didn't force me to marry someone I didn't want to marry, because obviously, that part had to be a major drag as well.

No comments: