March 04, 2005

The return of the king

My husband, who's been gone all week on a business trip to Cleveland, returned last night. My daughter and I were already asleep when he came in, but he woke us up and my daughter popped up out of bed and said, "Oh, Dad, I've been waiting for this moment." Have I ever mentioned she's a little melodramatic. Anyway, he had a good trip and feels pretty enthused about his new job. He's still with the same company, just doing something new. But it's nice to have things back to normal. I always feel a little more creeped out at night when my husband's gone because I feel like I have to make extra sure the doors are locked and whatnot. Although, I'd feel pretty sorry for the sucker who tried to break into my house because I'd take 'em down fast with my fierce fighting skills. Did you see that? Those were my hands flashing before your eyes at a hundred miles per minute. That's why you missed it. That's how quick and deadly they are. No, but seriously, I would be pretty pissed off and I think I'd probably want to rip out the eyes of someone trying invade my castle. When I get really, really angry, I have this thing that I call "The Rage" that starts in the pit of my stomach and spreads out through my entire body until I feel like I'll explode if I don't hit someone. Needless to say, I've spent a healthy chunk of my life surpressing this anger when I feel it come on, but it a situation like that, I'd let that sucker loose like a pack of hungry dogs chasing a fat rabbit. One time, my brother and I got into a fight at the mall when some punk who came up to our car at a stop light punched my brother in the face as he sat in the car. Anyway, before I could even open my door, my brother already had him down on the ground. By the time I got around to the other side of the car, my brother was giving it to him pretty well. So I grabbed the guy and pulled him up and off the ground and there was this split second where I saw in his eyes that he was going to hit me and I literally saw red. I mean really saw red. I never knew that could actually happen until that moment. People talk about it, but you figure it's just a saying. No, everything flashed red in my head and I thought, "Go ahead and do it because then I'll have an excuse to help my brother finish pounding your ass." Anyway, he got his senses together before doing anything and the people in the cars around us started yelling at him and telling him that they had his license plate number and were going to call the police, so he took off. But that was the only time that I got just a hair's width away from succumbing to The Rage in all its frightful glory. Ooooh, I get worked up just thinking about it, and this happened about thirteen years ago, just a couple of years after I graduated college.

No comments: