March 10, 2005

Round Two

OK, I"m back. I just finished my tomato and mozerella salad and I am going to have some fierce garlic breath for the rest of the day. Good thing there is absolutely no one here. I am completely and utterly alone in this office enjoying my own rancid breath. But the salad was tasty, so that makes it worth it. What I don't get is how some things that taste so good can smell so bad, like kimchee, for instance. It's so good but stinks the high heaven. Actually, I don't mind the smell that much. But Americans really find it repugnant. I don't know why, really, but they do. When I was in college, one of my roomates threw out my jar of kimchee over Christmas break because she said she couldn't stand the smell anymore. OK, rule number one, don't ever fuck around with someone else's food. I was pretty mad when I got back and it was gone. But it was cool, I went to my happy place so I wouldn't beat her senseless, but a certain level of respect was destroyed forever. Anyway, getting back to the stink. I'm sitting here right now smelling my garlic breath, but the taste in my mouth is really a scrumptious to me. In fact, I am sitting here swirling my tongue all around the inside of mouth just to get more of that delectable garlic flavor. You know what does bite the big one, though, is when you wake up the next day after eating really garlicky food and you can smell the garlic coming from your pores. That garlic smell isn't so good. And it doesn't matter how much you bathe, it's just got to work its way out of your system. It's the same with alcohol. The smell of alcohol coming out of the pores is just wrong, so wrong. It's bad enough when you can smelll it off yourself, but it's really bad coming from someone else. I can't even describe it. The problem is that you almost taste the smell rather than just smelling it. So you get that multi-sensory thing going and it's like an overload or something. The brain just can't handle that much information at once. That's my objective opinion, anyway, which has been culled over years of first-hand experience in the trenches of intoxication.

No comments: