March 28, 2005

Happy Dingus Day.

Here in South Bend, they have this tradition called Dingus Day, which is the day after Easter where the democrats have these pancake and sausage breakfasts around town and democratic officials talk to the people about whatever. I don't really understand why it's such a big deal, but it is. Really, I think people want an excuse to say something as ridiculous as Dingus. I don't know what that means, but it's probably a polish word meaning "stuff yourself silly." Actually, let me do a quick Google search and I'll find out. This can be a learning experience for all of us. OK, these are the two meanings that show up at Dictionary.com:
1. An article whose name is unknown or forgotten.
2. A person regarded as stupid.

I don't think that meaning can be what they are talking about; although, it is strangely appropriate if you think about it. Let's do another check, shall we?

Here's an explanation of Dingus Day from coalspeak dictionary: Dingus Day : The day after Easter Sunday. Men would chase women around with buckets of water and the women would hit them with switches. From a viewer: this tradition began in Poland, and involved pussy willows.

OK, obviously, Dingus Day does involve some level of stupidity, which I guess is as good as we're going to get.

Yesterday my husband pulled out our daughter's loose tooth with pliers. He feels supremely proud of himself and believes he's now passed some crucial milestone of fatherhood. I don't know what that milestone would be, exactly, but he's apparently accomplished something really, really important.

No comments: