January 31, 2005

Greedy Bastards.

I want to complain about corporate America today. If you want to know why we disintegrating as a nation and people, it's because there's no sense of community anymore. I firmly blame a lot of this on the American corporate culture that promotes dissent and betrayal. Somewhere along the line those fat cats in suits have forgotten that their company's most valuable asset is its people. In actuality, perhaps they never thought that in the first place. But it seems to me, there was a time when people thought highly of rewarding the deserving. Now, it's all about numbers that don't mean anything anyway. Are you meeting your numbers? What are these numbers? Figures pulled out of someone's ass who probably doesn't have the first idea of knowing which "numbers" are even logical. It's supposed to all be about stock holders and their desire to see increases every quarter or whatever. Well, let me tell you stock holders who believe only looking at today is going to get you anywhere, you are participating in your own downfall by thinking more about the money than the people. If people have to lie and fabricate figures to satisfy your greed, know that very soon it will all come crashing down around your head. Everything in life is cyclical. You can't always go up, there are times you're going to fall. This is just common sense, yet entire corporations base their action plans on the impossible. In the meantime, they drain their workforce of any desire to produce because they know it just doesn't matter what they do. I want to know why the CEO's and CFO's and all the rest of them aren't the ones really held accountable. If you shit on people, that's what you get back. It's really a no-brainer, but I guess once you start pulling in a multi-million dollar salary, common sense and decency don't have place in your life. Case in point, I called Dish Network to discontinue HBO service. I did this because Dish Network raised our monthly bill, again, and I don't think it's worth spending $70.00 a month on television. Anyway, they charged me five dollars to flip the switch that turns off the HBO. That's bad business and I'll tell you why. I don't feel very good feeling toward Dish Network right now, so already, they pissed off the customer. I have no desire to ever reestablish additional programming in the future if I know I'm going to be penalized if I don't want it anymore. Now, the only person I have access to is the guy who answers the phone when I call the 800-number. Who am I going to take my frustration out on? Of course it's him. Did he have anything to do with the five dollar increase which led me to discontinue my HBO? No, but I told him it was wrong to punish me for not getting programming. He said the logic is that they charge anytime someone discontinues service that results in the company receiving less money. It's only free if you actually end up paying more money. I told the customer service representative to take my five dollars and go buy an extra pack of Ding-Dongs out of the vending machine. Who made this decision? The yo-ho in the suit who could give two shits that they've now alienated a customer and created strees for the poor customer service representative who has to deal with the alienated customer. It does not cost five dollars to flip a switch, I don't care who you are. But this is just an example of a larger problem. Wake up, you over-bloated blood-suckers. If you dick over the people, you really dick over yourself. I watched Harold and Kumar Go to Whitecastles over the weekend and there was a line in there I liked a lot that went something like: "The universe tends to unfold exactly as it should." So what that means is all those greedy bastards are going to get sucked into black holes that will crush them into peanuts.

No comments: