January 17, 2005

I told you, you have to glide.

It's funny to watch children behaving like old people. My daughter had one of her school friends over for a playdate yesterday. This particular friend is a boy and my daughter basically considers him her best friend at school. I think I've mentioned him in the past. Anyway, so he was over for a playdate, my daughter's first, in her mind. She apparently doesn't count the numerous times she's been over to friends' houses in the neighborhood or they to ours because "that's just playing." For most of the afternoon, they played Gamecube and gameboy. There have been times in the past when I'm in the que waiting to pick up my daughter that I watch the way she intereacts with her friend, and I've seen her fix his collar and things like that. It's all very cute and they look like an old married couple. However, I've never heard them have a conversation until yesterday and it went something like this:

(Discussion while playing Spyro on Gamecube.)
Ma: I told you, you have to glide.

Pa: I know what I'm doing wrong. You don't have to tell me.

Ma: Go that way, Pa. Go that way. Do you want me to do it for you?

Pa: I know what I'm doing wrong. You don't have to tell me.

Ma: I'm just trying to help you.

Pa: I know what I have to do. A-ha, see there? I told you I knew what I had to do. I wasn't pressing the Y button.

Ma: I could have told you that.

Pa: Just let me do it.

Listening to this conversation scared me a little bit because it sounded eerily like conversations my husband and I have. This is making me think that perhaps we are hardwired to have these conversations with members of the opposite sex. We obviously pop out of the womb thinking the opposite sex is moronic.

No comments: