January 20, 2005

You just never know.

When my husband came home last night he told me how he had basically been the first person on the scene right after the first of these two accidents.
Fatal accident
He'd been anywhere from thirty seconds to a minute behind the crash when he stopped; a person travelling the opposite direction stopped, too. The other person ran to the truck, where the driver was still alive, but basically trapped in the vehicle, and my husband ran to the minivan where he discovered the driver was dead. Needless to say, it shook him up pretty bad. He said he'd never seen a dead person before and it was a shock to him to realize that the man was not alive.
"He looked like he was just sleeping," my husband told me.

He said it wasn't particularly gory or anything and, if he had to guess, he'd say the driver was killed by a broken neck beacause his head lolled off to the side in a weird way. Anyway, once the rescue crews arrived and assessed the situation and asked my husband if he'd witnessed the accident, he left to come home. He told me he felt very sobered by the whole experience and it made him realize how frail life is. My husband explained that he said a prayer for the dead man's soul, but what else can you do?

Once when my family was driving to visit my aunt for the day, we drove by a bad accident that was still being sorted out by the authorities. As we drove by, I say a sheet-covered body on the side of the road pulled some distance away from the accident scene. I was still in college at the time, I think. Anyway, that shook me up, as well. I didn't see the man's face or anything, but you could see his boots sticking out from under the sheet. At any rate, it just makes you think that you just never know when your time is up and these sorts of encounters should remind us to live every day without regrets.

No comments: