September 13, 2004

The road less travelled.

My husband has begun saying we will be moving to Montana in four years. He's restless, as am I. I'm an Army brat, so I get edgy after being in one place a few years. We've been here for seven years now, which is the longest I've lived in any one place my entire life. The wanderlust has been loudly ringing in my ears for the last few years. When we were driving to church yesterday, he asked our daughter, "Wouldn't you like to move to Montana?"

She said, "But I've lived here my entire life."

"You could play with your cousins anytime you want if we lived in Montana."

"Dad, don't you know that when kids live in one place, they want to stay there?"

"But you should go someplace different. You want to see something different."

"Dad, I will when I go to college because I'm going to go someplace else for college."

So that was the end of that conversation. We were in Montana visiting my sister for a couple of days when we went on our road trip in August. There is something about the West that breathes life into you. I love the mountains. That was the one thing I really loved about living in Utah. I loved hiking the mountains. There are no mountains in Indiana. In general, there's nothing to climb on here. That's the kind of hiking I like, climbing something. Getting to the top of something so you can look down and remember how small we really are in the whole scheme of things.

Because I lived a life on the move as a child, it's hard for me to comprehend the life my daughter has had so far. She knows this one place as home. She can claim a place as home in her mind. I can't do that. When people ask where I'm from I say, "I'm an Army brat. I'm not from anywhere." So it's hard for me to understand how she loves this place as home because it's just another pit stop in my mind.

No comments: