September 27, 2004

It's Sew Easy.

My daughter says she wants a sewing machine for her birthday, so I just ordered one from Amazon.com. I hope I don't live to regret this purchase. I hope I'm not making an emergency room visit in the future so they can separate the fingers she's sewed together. I am surprised, however, that there seems to be an incredible dearth of sewing machines for children out there. I'm not talking about toy sewing machines, I'm talking about real sewing machines designed for children. I bought something that seems OK, I hope it won't turn out to be a piece of junk and a waste of $40. You'd think there'd be a market for it. You make a real sewing machine, just size it a little smaller for kid-sized hands. That doesn't seem too difficult to me, but apparently it is. Anyway, speaking of sewing, my daughter finally decided what she wants to be for Halloween. We went to Jo-Ann's and she picked out the pattern for a dragon. It's this bodysuit thing that's got wings on the shoulders, spines down the back and a tail. It shouldn't be too difficult. I accidently threw out one of the pattern pieces, though, when I was cutting the thing out. It's part of the glove, but I'm going to wing it with the part of the glove pattern I did manage to keep. It should be OK, otherwise she'll be the dragon with jacked-up hands. That would make a good title for a short story. I'm drinking hot chocolate right now. Thought I'd throw that out to give you a more complete picture of me at the moment. I've got envelopes to open, too.

I'm adding a new link to the side. It's a project in cyber-writing. It's going to be an ongoing short story written by a group of writers here on campus. So far, there's only one entry, the one I posted to get things started, but hopefully some of the other participants will be adding on to it pretty soon. This is a typical sort of writing exercise, when one person writes something and another person adds onto the story. But I thought it might be interesting to try it in the blog format. The only real problem I've noticed is that I can't see a way to have the posts appear in reverse chronology, so people are going to have to start from the end and work their way up as we add to the story. Of course, that would only be for people who don't read from the very beginning, so go, quick, go read so you don't have to keep scrolling down to get to the beginning. GO NOW!!!

P.S. Desperate Dad, if you're reading this, I assume you have a new bundle of baby in your arms. Congratulations and good luck.

No comments: