September 22, 2004

I concede.

OK, I find I must bow to the master of grossiosity, my brother. Dirty Sanchez apparently ain't the half of it. His list manages to blow my one puny entry (which wasn't even my own entry, if you recall) out of the water. So, all hail the male ability to make one want to vomit.

Went to a reading last night at a local coffee shop. I should probably say the local coffee shop. We're not overflowing with coffee shops here. We don't even have a freestanding Starbucks here. All the Starbucks in town are little cafes in other stores, like Barnes & Noble or Target. This particular reading was for the grad students in the MFA program. It was good. I can remember before I had ever gone to a reading, I imagined they were really cool and hip. They're not. It's a lot like going to a lecture. But that's OK.

My daughter has changed her mind once again over what she wants to be for Halloween. She's going to have to commit to something pretty soon because it's a done deal once I buy the fabric for it. She was Hermione from Harry Potter last year and she's now saying she wants to do the Harry Potter thing again. That, of course, makes things really easy for me because I won't have to make a new costume this year. Although, I suspect she'll change her mind once we go shopping. I tried to get her to be Alice in Wonderland because I made that costume for her school play last spring. I suggested that my husband and I could dress up as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, but she didn't go for that one.

I don't know how many of you out there sew, but I can't believe how expensive it is to sew. One of the reasons I learned was I thought I could spend less money on dressing my daughter, but fabric's not cheap. A lot of times you can buy something cheaper off the rack. And of course, the nicer the fabric, the more money it costs. I'm going to make her first communion dress when it's time for that and I plan on using the types of fabrics available for wedding gowns and some of that stuff costs as much as $45.00 a yard. But I like the idea that she's wearing something one of a kind for an occassion like that. I don't have to worry about the veil, though. I still have my communion veil, so I'll have her wear that one.

No comments: