January 17, 2006

Nothing like advance warning.

I have my EEG today to try and determine why I have been fainting or nearly fainting after twisting my ankle. I don't really know what to expect, so I just looked on the Internet to get an idea of what they are going to be doing to me. As I'm reading, I notice a list of things you're supposed to do in preparation for the exam. My doctor's office didn't tell me to do any of these things, so now I'm worried the test won't come out right. The preparation list states:

You will need to wash your hair the night before the test. Do not use any oils, sprays, or conditioner on your hair before this test.

--I washed my hair this morning. I didn't condition it because I was running late, but I did put on hair spray.

Your health care provider may want you to discontinue some medications before the test. Do not change or stop medications without first consulting your health care provider.

--They didn't tell me to not take any medications this morning.

You should avoid all foods containing caffeine for 8 hours before the test.

--I had my normal cup of coffee this morning

Sometimes it is necessary to sleep during the test, so you may be asked to reduce your sleep time the night before.

--They didn't tell me to deprive myself of sleep.

So what's going to happen now? People have to be more on the ball about stuff. I'm not going to reschedule because it's already a pain in the butt to diverge from the normal course of my day. I just won't say anything when I go in for the test. It'll be our little secret.

No comments: