February 16, 2006

When it rains...

You know how the saying goes. I had my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and it turns out that I totally blew my ACL. He pointed to a spot on the MRI film and said, "You see this little stump here?"

"Yes," I said.

"Well, that's what used to be your ACL," he explained.

Great. Anyway, I'm having surgery next Thursday to reconstruct the whole thing. But that's not really the thing weighing heavily on my mind right now. I got a phone call from my sister last night and my oldest nephew had a strange mole on his scalp that doctors think might be melanoma. To say the news was shocking is something of an understatment. The kid is only eleven, so the entire idea of him and cancer just sucks as much as anything can possibly suck. My brother-in-law (who's a plastic surgeon) already removed the patch, but they just sent the tissue to the Mayo Clinic to get a definitive diagnosis. Anyway, I'm going to ask all of you to pray real hard for him because he doesn't need something like this. Thanks in advance for sending any good vibes up to the big man.

No comments: