March 11, 2004

Interview #6

I have a very special treat for all of you today. I've got my friend Ann here with us. I cannot put into words the kind of friend she is to me. You know how people talk about finding their soul mates? Well, I think there are soul siblings, too, and I think of Ann as a soul sister. Some people just get you in a way that the majority of the population can't, and those are the people you never shake. Ann and I met our freshman year of college, where we lived next to each other in the dorm. To say things were a little "wild" that year would be a massive, massive understatement. Let's just say it was a year filled with the kind of experiences that end up binding people to each other for life. We were roommates our sophomore year. We were little sisters in TWO fraternities together, and she was one of my bridesmaids. So, without further adieu, let's get started:

KC: What do you regret most in life, and what do you regret least?

AK: I would have to say that what I regret most is not enjoying my senior year of college as much as I should have. For some crazy reason, I was eager to get out into the job market - what was I thinking?? What I regret least is moving to San Francisco. I have had some opportunites come my way here that I would never have had if I had stayed in NJ and plus it's a kick ass place to live.

KC: When you think back to some of the crazy stuff we did in college, what makes you laugh the hardest?

AK: Wow - there are soooo many. First thing that comes to mind is back in the Stone Hall days - you and I devising a fool proof plan to steal alcohol without anyone finding out....singing the Mission Impossible theme while doing it. (of course, everyone knew it was us).

KC: Yeah, I always laugh when I think about that and anytime I hear the Mission Impossible theme song. I think I remember most fondly the time you and I had to pee so bad on the way to an after-hours party that we stopped and peed in the bushes in front of some fraternity. I think it was DU. The sad part is we weren't even in college anymore on that one. Old habits die hard, I guess. Describe the best day of your life.

AK: The peeing in the yard WAS a great one too!! Friends that are peeing together...anyway Best Day of My Life - wow that is REALLY tough!! I have great moments but best day..hmmm. Probably while in South Africa on safari. During the day, [my boyfriend] and I took the micro bus out in the park by ourselves and just saw some amazing things - a full grown elephant not more than 200 feet from us, two giraffe fighting, two hippos fighting, about 10 different species of birds within 100 yards of us. That same night we went out on a night ride and drove alongside two male lions. I could have reached out and touched them. It was an experience that I will never forget.

KC: Did I know you went to South Africa? I think I remember it somewhere in the back of my mind. I always wanted to go on a photo safari until I read about all the parasites and whatnot you can get in Africa. Now, I don't know. I know I'm a wimp, but what can I say? How would you summarize the shortcomings of American culture today?

AK: I think the biggest shortcoming has to do with our education system. One example (and this of course, is only my take on it), most Europeans are taught and become fluent in at least one other language. In America, maybe some kids learn Spanish. Another short coming is the lack of interest in traveling to others parts of the world and experiencing different cultures. Many of my friends have
NO desire to travel outside of the US (and this is before 9-11). Most won't even leave the East Coast, if you can believe it. There is so much out there to see, it's sad that they are missing out.

KC: I agree on both counts. People seem to take education for granted in this country because it's so easily accessible, and have forgotten you have to actually put something (resources) into it to get something out of it. When you see people who have been denied education, like girls in Afghanistan, and then see how eager they are for it, you realize how complacent so many Americans have become. I also don't understand people who don't want to travel. Because my entire childhood was spent travelling, I get fidgety and nervous after I've been in one place a couple of years, and feel like I want to go someplace new and see something new. In your globe-trotting, what would you say has been your most enlightening and insightful experience into another culture?

AK: Again, my answer goes back to South Africa. We stayed in Capetown for a week where we were attending a wedding of a white South African woman. I was amazed at how fearful and hateful the white people are of the black people. At the wedding reception, a woman at one of the tables wouldn't talk to or even look at the black waiter/busboy serving her food and wine. Only her husband would address him. God forbid anyone said "thank you". Of course, in my bitchness, I made an effort to say thank you to everyone that helped me in a slightly louder tone than I would normally use. :)

KC: That is interesting. I'd actually like to hear more about your observations, but I think I'll save that for a private conversation. So, what's the freakiest thing you've ever done while having sex?

AK: I think I'm pretty tame in this area but I would have to say slapping the rear of my partner.

KC: While you were shouting, "Who's your Momma? Who's your Momma?" No? Did you have him outfitted in horse gear? OK, tell me about the last fist-fight you were in and what caused it. Also, who won?

AK: Can you believe I've NEVER been in an actual fist fight? I did have a girl come up to me in high school telling me that she was going to "beat the shit of me" for talking to someone's boyfriend or something like that. I started to laugh in her face (nervous reaction I'm sure) and I think I said "Why doesn't she (the girlfriend beat me up? Why do you have to do it?". But it got her all flustered and she didn't know what to do. So, she said that I better stay away from him or else. Strange - so I guess I won?

KC: Actually, I can't believe you've never been in an actual fist fight. I don't think that's really registering with me. There are certain truths I've taken for granted: The Earth is round, beer is good, and Ann has kicked the shit out of someone at least once in her life. At any rate, it's nearly punch-out time for me, so I'll have to bring this interview to an end. But before I do, I want to thank you for sharing your time with our viewing audience and we hope to see you again real soon. Peace out, G.

No comments: