June 14, 2006

I am in a battle of wills with a 19-year-old.

Why? I don't know, other than the fact that some 19-year-old punk ain't coming out on top in a match up against me. I was a little late getting out of the house this morning so I didn't get to the karate school until 8:36. I should mention that when I dropped off my daughter yesterday, the karate instructor wasn't there. I got there around 8:25 or so. However, one of the other instructors was there waiting for the head guy to show up and unlock the door. Anyway, I left my daughter with that instructor and found out that the head guy didn't show up for another few minutes or so, but only after one of the other instructors had managed to get there. So I drop off my daughter today at 8:36 and the school is open and the lights are on and the instructor is in there with one of the other instructors and another kid is also there. So as I'm getting out of the car, the head instructor comes to the window and taps his watch and me and mouths, "You're late." So I flipped him off. It was the only thing I could do. Anyway, as we're walking into the school my daughter asks what the instructor was doing and I told her he's trying to say I'm late. "But why were you waving at him?" she asked, and I told her I was just saying hi.

When we walked in the door he said something about it being my turn to be late and I told him that I'd just given up getting there early because I knew he wasn't going to be on time anyway, and then he said he was on time. Or rather, that the other instructor was there on time and he was right behind her. Then the other student who was already there said that the instructor had been late because he and his father had apparently sat and waited for a little while. So I gave the instrutor a smug look and walked out the door. I'm winning. I don't care how immature it is. I'm winning.

No comments: