June 09, 2006

Hostel is not as compelling as people made it out to be.

So I finally got around to watching Hostel the other night. I was interested in seeing it because it garnered so much press at the time it came out with everyone saying it was the most disturbing film they'd ever watched. It was gory, but not as gory as I imagined it was going to be based on what I'd heard about it. Or maybe I really am so jaded that nothing can really shock me anymore. Yeah, it was gross watching the guy cut off the Japanese girl's eye or whatever he cut off her face, but it didn't make we want to vomit or anything. Actually, the only time in my life I've ever felt queasy watching a movie was when I was in eighth grade and I watched Cat People with Malcolm McDowell and Nastassja Kinski. There's a scene where Malcom McDowell's character wakes up after having spent the night with a prostitute, whom he's killed, and he's got this mucasy jelly stuff on his stomach which he plucks off and eats for a little breakfast snack. It was gross and I actually felt the bile rise to the back of my throat. It wasn't a graphically disgusting scene or anything, but idea of eating mucas just really got to me. Usually, I'm pretty solid when it comes to gore. Did I want to be grossed out with Hostel? Maybe. All I know is that it didn't live up to the hype for me.

No comments: