March 16, 2006

Light as a feather, stiff as a board.

My daugther just got invited to her first slumber party. She's pretty excited about it. She asked me, "Mom, isn't it true that all little brothers try to seek into the slumber party at 1 a.m. to wake up all the girls?" I told her that hadn't been my experience. She's asking this because the friend hosting the sleepover has a little brother. Surprise, surprise. The funny thing about my daughter is that once she gets something into her head, she's not going to let go. Once I told her I'd never been awakened at 1 in the morning by a wayward little brother, she asked, "Well, isn't that something they like to do?"

At any rate, she will be prepping herself to be rudely awakened in the early hours of the party. The girls are second graders, so I don't think they'll be partaking in the time-honored, slumber party tradition of light as a feather, stiff as a board. I have to wonder how this game got started because ALL girls know about it and they ALL do it at slumber parties. I don't know anyone who's never done light as a feather, stiff as a board at a slumber party. I think it would be akin to living in America and never having eaten a Big Mac. I'm sure they're are people out there who haven't had one, but I sure don't know them. We also liked to do the Bloody Mary thing where you stand in the bathroom with the lights out chanting, "Bloody Mary come to me. Bloody Mary come to me." You do this while facing the mirror so that when you flip on the lights you get to see if Bloody Mary came. And the seances. We always had seances. However, those always freaked me out a bit because I heard that once a spirit is invited into the house the only way to get rid of it is to burn down the house, so I used to try and call people that seemed nice to me, like Henry Fonda. I used to call Henry Fonda a lot. We'd tell stories about idiots who'd tried to call Dracula or some other scary creature like that and all the party goers would be found dead the next morning with puncture wounds in their necks. Trust me, little girls know how to scare the shit out of themselves.

No comments: