March 09, 2006

Eerrrrgh.

Before I say anything, just let me state that I love my mother. I love my mother very much; however, I'm a little irked with her right now. And I really do mean just a little. She called me yesterday to tell me that if I hadn't already gotten a communion dress for my daughter that I shouldn't because she just bought one. I told her that I was planning on making my daughter's communion dress and she asked if I'd already gotten the material and I said yes. In fact, I just bought the material over the weekend. She responded by saying, "Oh, well, now you don't need to worry about making it." I'm upset because it wasn't going to be a hassle to make it. I want to make it. It was supposed to be a special mother/daughter thing for me to make my daughter's dress. Plus, she had picked out the pattern and helped pick out the material, so she was excited to wear it. Anyway, when I talked to my mom I told her I hadn't cut the material yet, so I could always make something else. The truth is that untless my daugther plans to ever attend a cotillion for her coming out, which doesn't really happen around here, I won't have any reason to make something for her with the material I purchased because it's bridal fabric. Fabric intended for use on a wedding gown or some other similar garment like , oh I don't know, a communion dress. I told my daughter about it last night and she's upset. But I told her that her grandmother wants to feel like she's contributing to the day, which she is, and that she's not trying to ruin it. My daughter gets that and is willing to be gracious about it, but the more I thought about it, the more I got peeved. This is my daughter and it's the only opportunity I'll have in life to make a communion dress. I've decided I'm going to make it anyway and then probably have my daughter change into the dress my mother bought her for the party afterward. As it goes, my daughter may end up liking the dress my mom got her better than the one I'm making. I guess we'll just see how it goes.

No comments: