May 06, 2005

It's Summertime

This is the last day of finals, so it's the offical beginning of summer for the university. Since my daughter is in school for another month, it is still only spring to me. The energy on campus is definitely more relaxed during the summer, and things slow down considerably. In some ways, it's like having a break even though work continues to beckon. I now get to look forward to four months of isolation. Not that I see people often at work as it is, but during the summer, I see no one. I could probably stop coming into the office and no one would notice. But that would be wrong, and I never do anything wrong. Oh no, not I.

I'm supposed to get a new G5 in this office over the summer, which rocks. I've already got one down in my other office. I've had that since the G5 first came onto the market. I wanted to buy the G4 I've currently got here, but they wouldn't let me. According to "university policy" it's not available for sale. It will be recycled and put to use somewhere else in the college. Hopefully, down in my other office where my grad students can at least get some use out of it. Right now, they're both on old, old macs that only run OS 8, which sucks major donkey dick, as I'm sure you can imagine. One is an original blueberry imac and the other is a really old G3 that's probably close to eight years old. Needless to say, trying to get work down on these old systems makes things a little complicated. I've been gunning for new computers for awhile, but it's always the same old song and dance: "We don't have the money." Now, if I wanted to fire the football coach before his contract is up and lose out on five million dollars, that's another story altogether because, you know, football is really important and worth the sacrifice. I shouldn't blame the football problem for my woes, though. It's not their fault they get so much. They're not the decision-makers, after all.

I've been feeling really sluggish lately. I need something new and exciting to happen to me.

2 comments:

Frances said...

Oh I know that feeling well!

Hey Kathleen! I've just recently started reading your blog (although I know you've been reading mine for a while) and hey! It's great. I love your style.

Korean Celt said...

Why, thank you, Cesca. I love compliments. I very much enjoy reading your blog, as well. It just goes to you show you, when it comes to motherhood, it's all the same no matter where you are. Oooh, can I have an Amen, sister. Thanks for reading. :-)