February 15, 2005

Really bad night.

I didn't get very good sleep last night because of something that happened at work yesterday that led me to, once again, swear. Although I'm a little upset that I couldn't keep my cool well enough to keep from reverting to my normal obscenity-slinging, it's what happened that led to the swearing that kept me up. If I write out too much about it, I'm going to kill off the small measure of calm I have been able to reach. Suffice to say that people who cannot meet their work obligations within expected deadlines have absolutely no right to expect others to compensate for their lack of organizational and time-management skills. If you know something is due at a certain time to ensure a continued smooth flow of production, and you don't get it in on time, you've got to be happy with the consequences of putting everyone else in a pinch, even if that means you're going to be less than satisfied with the final product. If you care that much, then be a little more considerate of other people's schedules by getting your act together on time. Basically, you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Oh, and the other thing that happened is that I learned the hard truth (from the same procrastinating academic being referred to above) that I apparently have no aesthetic. As I'm sure you've all guessed, I'm crushed by this revelation. Yeah, that's right. Just call me Jo-Jo, the mindless keyboard-slapping chimp. Of course, I immediately responded to this situation by going home and cutting out the Pokemon disks from the back of my daughter's macaroni-and-cheese box. Furthermore, I actually managed to cut neatly within the lines. No aesthetic, huh? I've got aeshthetic coming out the ying-yang. But, seriously, this is what I have learned, or re-learned I should say: Everyone is only looking out for themselves. I did realize this pretty quickly during my first job out of college, and despite the fact that I've been disappointed every time I've let myself believe that one person or another was different, I still keep falling for it. I still keep falling for that, "Aw, shucks, I'm just a simple man and/or woman," routine. Seriously, I've got to stop getting suckered. Basically, I've got to remember that when it comes to work, there's no such thing as a friend. So, I'm going to finish drinking my coffee and recommit myself to not being foolish enough to believe people care about doing the right thing at work.

No comments: