August 23, 2004

Would you like fries with that?

So yesterday was the parish picnic and I pretty much spent the entire time flipping burgers. I like to grill, I really do. I like to start the fire and listen to the meat sizzle. There's something hypnotic about it to me. Maybe I am a closet pyro, but I love watching those flames lick the sky. I especially like the small expolosions that occur when I spray lighter fluid on fire. My daughter kept saying, "Again, Mom, again," whenever I did it. She said it was like watching a volcano explode. Then one of my committee co-members said in a really annoying way, "Oooh, that's so dangerous. I saw a special where they said how dangerous doing that is. The flames travel right up the flow of lighter fluid and catch the whole bottle on fire. You really shouldn't do that." I said, "I'm a professional. I know what I'm doing. Stand back kids, we're gonna fry up some meat. Yee Haw."

The above mentioned committee member bothers me a lot because she doesn't do anything. She just stands around and talks to people, but doesn't do any of the real work. The cleaning, the setting-up, making arrangements, running around getting crap. She somehow thinks face-time is all that counts. I just don't have respect for it because everyone else is working and they have to share the credit. It's not right in my book. She's cheap, too, which is another black mark. I'm not talking about being thrifty, I'm talking about not paying her fair share. That steams me pretty good. No one is dripping with money, we're all pretty much in the same boat, but she always finds a way to get more than she gives. I know, it's not very nice to talk about someone on a church committe so harshly, but I'm not particularly nice, so it's OK.

No comments: