August 17, 2004

Poor Me. Feel My Pain.

Great! I've got a big, ole honking cold sore. I'm not surprised, though, because I usually get them when I'm exposed to a lot of sun or don't get enough sleep. And seeing as I had plenty of exposure to sun and not enough sleep over the last two weeks, I should have figured it was coming. So I'm popping acyclovir and hoping I managed to catch this one before it blows up too much and makes me look like I just got punched in the kisser by Rocky. I've gotten them my entire life, but they definitely get more bothersome the older I get. My glands swell and I have zero energy. I just want to sleep, sleep, sleep. Zzzzzzzzz. Snort. Hmmmm, whazzit? Although, I wonder if this one was triggered by the microdermabrasion treatment I got while visiting my sister. It's the first time I've ever had it done and it may have proved enough of a trauma to the lip area to trigger something. I don't know. All I know is it sucks. At least now that I'm an adult, people don't tend to say anything when they see my mangled lip. Unlike high school where stupid boys would come up and say, "Eeeew, you have herpes," as if it was a funny or original thing to say. Once in college, I had two really huge cold sores, one on each lip and it looked so terrible I really cried over having to leave my apartment to go to class. Seriously, it looked like someone had really socked me one. It was disgusting. And there was this other time in band camp......heh, heh, heh. Just seeing if you're awake.

I don't know if any of you out there have ever had microdermabrasion, but I really didn't know what it would involve at first. In my mind, I was thinking of it as a sort of chemical peel, but really it's just a super-powerful vacum that sucks all the dead skin cells off your face. It doesn't hurt or anything, but you come out looking a little pink. I know some people who get chemical peels end up scabbing all over their face, so I didn't want that to happen. Luckily, that is not a concern with the dermabrasion. It makes me wish I could live closer to my sister so I could get them more often. On top of that, my sister gave me an entire bag of skin care products, which I really like. It's the stuff they sell in their office to the people who get the treatments. If I haven't mentioned it already, my brother-in-law is a plastic surgeon and the dermabrasion is something they offer in his office. So it wall all free, free, free for me. I like free.

I never thought I'd be the sort of person who'd consider plastic surgery and whatnot, but now that I'm in my mid-thirites, it enters the mind quite often. At this point, sucking off dead skin cells is about as extreme as I'm willing to go, but it's like marijuana, it's the gateway drug. Next thing you know, I'll be getting four inches of skin pulled up off my face so tightly that I'll look like Joan Rivers. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I'm pretty lazy nowadays when it comes to make-up, but I'm really paranoid about looking old. I don't know why. I don't mind being my age. I just don't want to look like it. I know, completely vain, but what's a girl to do?

No comments: