August 17, 2006

First day of school

So my daughter is back to the daily grind and I'm back to getting up at 5:30 in the a.m. Yeah, that kind of sucks, but I do what a mom's gotta do. It figures that the first day back I'm ready to start killing people by the time I pull up to my daughter's school. First, we end up hitting every red light on the drive, then when I turn onto a street by the school, one of the lanes is closed so that slows things down and then when I pull into the cue, some yoho up front is taking ten years to get their kids out of the car, so I very enthusiastically tell my daughter, "Get out of the car here because this person is taking forever." Anyway, I park the car so I can take in the bag of school supplies that won't fit in her backpack. I don't know about you, but does it seem like kids need a shit-load of school supplies nowadays? I remember we had to get some notebooks, some pencils and pens, some crayons and safety scissors, and that was about it. I had to buy hand soap, three rolls of paper towels, boxes of kleenex, several varieties of pens and highlighters, ziploc bags, drawing pads, glue sticks, book covers, pencil bags, gym shoes, and more for her this year. It's crazy. I don't know how families with more than one kid can afford it.

No comments: