June 23, 2004

Whine, whine, whine.

So, I really have nothing to talk about but I am going out of my mind with boredom. I figure rambling on the ole blog should fill a little time. I saw this program the other night on Discovery channel about face transplants. There are three surgical teams around the world currently working on performing a face transplant. The hope is that this sort of surgery would make it possible for people who have been severely injured and deformed by, say, fire to live relatively normal lives again. The doctors want to transplant the face of a dead donor onto the receipient's face. It was really fascinating. It was particularly interesting because the night before watching this program, I happened to watch this movie on HBO called Something the Lord Made about the first heart surgery.

The show and movie parallel each other because they both deal with radical new surgeries of their time. It's interesting to watch how ignorant it seemed for doctors to be so afraid to operate on the heart back then because heart surgery is so common place now. You wonder why were they so afraid. But watching the show on face transplants, you see that that's how many people are greeting the idea of this type of surgery. There's a lot of fear. Like heart surgery today, I'm sure face transplants won't phase a soul in fifty years.

I am now heading into my third week without the child. I miss her. Although, I'm sure when she's back and we're caught up in the normal routine of life, I'll wonder why I spent so much time wishing away my freedom. We always want what we don't have, stupid humans that we are. We've got the big barbeque this weekend. Should be fun. Hopefully the good weather they are predicting will hold true.

No comments: