December 22, 2008

Well, that took two forevers.

I just finished addressing all my Christmas cards and I really think my daughter gestated for less time than it took me to get those suckers ready. Seriously, it took hella long. And I didn't even write out the addresses or anything. I printed up labels, so all I was doing was stuffing, licking, and sticking. Anyway, it's done now so I don't have to worry about it for another year. In general, I haven't had much time to think about Christmasy sort of things this year. Between work, my daughter's schedule and theatre stuff, Christmas has ended up a kind of afterthought. I have to say I don't mind entirely. If it weren't for my daughter, I don't think I'd even bother with things like putting up a Christmas tree or baking cookies or any of the rest of it. Not because I'm going all Scrooge or anything, but just because it seems pretty pointless in the larger scheme of things. I just find it interesting how much pressure we put on ourselves as a society around the holidays. I have to assume most of it is for the kids, to try and give them something special, but why we suddenly think it's so important to hang lights everywhere and bake and cook ourselves senseless is escaping me the older I get. Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas, and I love seeing my daughter's excitement. I guess I just wish it came with less ceremony.

No comments: