July 17, 2007

Harry.

Went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix yesterday and it was pretty good. In some ways, I think it did a good job of distilling the book down to its essentials. However, it's always a bit disappointing that the movies can't include a lot of the side stories that make the books so entertaining. In particular, Hermione's SPEW movement. I think that's some of the funniest stuff in the books. But, it's a different medium and one that is unfortunately limited to a couple of hours, for commercial purposes anyway. It's hard to know how someone without any prior knowledge of the books would view the films, but it's also hard not to fill in the blanks when you know what they are. Does that make the movies more enjoyable than they might be otherwise? I don't know. All I know, is that I thouroughly enjoyed this latest installment. I thought the actress playing Luna Lovegood did an excellent job getting across Luna's, well, loonieness. It's always a shame to me that actors like Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman only get a few short minutes to show their stuff, because they are so damn good at what they do. I thought Imelda Staunton was wonderful as Dolores Umbridge; although, I wish they would have made her look more the way she's described in the book. She wasn't nearly toady enough, I thought. At any rate, I liked the movie and didn't feel like I'd wasted my money.

Changing topics now, I'm attending my 20th high school reunion next month. I'm excited to see my friends becaue I haven't been to Utah in about eight years. Although, I'm always more interested to see how people, in general, have turned out. I know how all my friends are doing, so of course, I'm really interested in all the other people. Basically the people who treated me poorly. I want to see if their lives have descended into the hell they should have. I'm kidding. I don't really wish people's lives have turned out crappily. Seriously. I'm not that cruel. Most of the time.

No comments: