October 05, 2004

That was my ear, thanks.

I don't know what the heck is going on, but there is some very loud, painful screeching going on outside my door. I think they're testing the fire alarm or something. I've been thinking a lot lately on the fleeting nature of time. I really don't have enough hours in a day to do the things I need to do. And I ask where is the justice in having to watch time race by during the prime years of life? When you're a kid and can't do anything, time is really, really slow. Then it starts to speed up when you start having some fun, namely college. Next thing you know you're married with kids and high school was only yesterday. Now it seems what happens in a day between the time I open my eyes in the morning and close them again at night takes about two seconds. Two seconds isn't enough time to do the stuff that needs to be done in a day. But then we get old and we can't work anymore and our kids don't want to visit us and we're sitting in a chair watching Jerry Springer. I bet time goes really, really slowly then.

OK, damn fire alarm going off again. Really annoying. Before I had my daughter, I used to be a really deep sleeper. Nothing could wake me up. Once when I was in college the fire alarm went off in the dorm at 1 am and I didn't hear it. The alarm was right outside our door, but I didn't wake up. The RA and some other person had to unlock my door, come in and wake me up to tell me to get out of the building. A sidenote to this story is that they then wrote me up for not leaving the building during a fire alarm and I had to go to the dorm coordinator's office and I sure gave him a piece of my mind over the fact that they obviously knew I was not trying to stay in the building. Anyway, that was then...now I don't sleep so deeply. Having kids messes up your sleep in a big way. I don't know if it's because you're afraid something might happen when you're asleep so you're brain doesn't let you go really deep into slumberland or what. But the ironic thing about it is it makes you tired during your waking hours and less able to deal with your kids. So we deprive ourselves of sleep at night because we want to be sure our children are sleep and then end up beating the crap out of them after their spill their bowl of cereal because we have no patience due to lack of sleep.

No comments: