April 06, 2009

That number is coming from inside the house.

So I'm home alone for a week. Actually, I was home alone for a week this past Saturday, but now it's Monday, which means I'm really only home alone for another four days or so. Anyway, I'm home alone. My husband took my daughter to visit my parents while she has spring break this week. Every year my husband and I alternate taking off from work to do something with the kid one on one. This week will probably be the closest thing I experience to living by myself. I've never lived by myself, ever. I always had roommates in college, and then after graduation I moved back home and then when I got engaged, my husband and I moved in together. I never thought living alone was something I wanted to do. I'm a people person and the idea of being all by myself for extended periods of time has always kind of freaked me out. So far, it's not been too bad, but a lot of that is due to the fact that I'm pretty busy. I've got work and I'm in another play, so I just don't have a lot of time on my hands. Even now that I'm home from rehearsal, I'm only taking a little break before I start doing some cleaning.

At any rate, even though I've never assumed living alone is something I'd ever want to do, I sure do like the feeling of not having to take other people into consideration as far as my activities are concerned. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm wishing away my family or anything, but it's nice knowing I can work out as long as I want at the gym because I don't have to worry about picking up my daughter. And it's nice knowing I can run around with friends and not have to worry about whether or not I've been out too late and am expected home. It's obviously a completely self-absorbed existence, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: